Friday, May 21, 2010

Week 18


I don't know why, but I'm so happy to be to week 18! It seems like we're really coming along! In two weeks we'll be halfway there!
Something new for this week is that I'm loosing one of my greatest talents- my ability to sleep! For years I have been a gold medal sleeper! I sleep deeply, every night, for AT LEAST 8 hours- preferably 10. Beginning a couple nights ago, I have been waking up to SORE hips! Whatever hip I am lay on will wake me up with a crazy intense pain that threatens to kill me if I don't get off of it. So, I switch to the other side until that one wakes me up with the same threat. And that is it... once on each side is all I get in a night! If I try to switch back to the other side, I am rejected! I am now down to an average of 6 hours a night! SIX?
I fully expect to get less than 6 as I reach the 3rd trimester, and I'm not naive enough to expect that much once the baby comes, but I wasn't prepared to say goodbye to my 8 hours just yet. This morning, after my third night of this, I actually resorted to sleeping sitting up! When you're pregnant you aren't supposed to sleep on your back because the uterus would be resting on two important blood vessels, the aorta and the inferior vena cava. It could decrease circulation to the baby and parts of the momma's body. Sleeping on your stomach is also out of the question. I was left with only two other options- get up for the day, or sleep sitting up. Since I chose option #1 the other two mornings, I decided to try option #2. I made a throne of pillows to help hold me up and..... it worked!! I slept about 2 more hours for a grand total of 8!
On a different but somewhat related note, my yoga dvd came and it is wonderful! Shiva Rea is a great yoga instructor and I really enjoyed the exercise and stretching. Aside from several other benefits, I'm hoping that doing this routine will help me sleep better. But if not, there will be time to sleep when I'm an old lady! Anything for the baby!

2 comments:

Annie said...

The body is an amazing thing... It seems the pregnancy is a good transition to new motherhood... lack of sleep now only prepares you for when the baby will come ;) Lots of love. We're soooo excited for you!

The Palmers said...

Of course when you announced it on your blog, I had to come to this blog since we're going through the same stages. I think I'll copy and paste a lot of yours and make it my journal. haha Love the sleep comments. I force myself to stay on the left side and it KILLS my hip. I also try sitting up as well. How funny the things we do just so our babies are getting what they need. They're so sweet!! PS- I had heard just the opposite about high heartbeat and low, so I can't wait to hear your outocme! Mine was high and a girl. =)